Formerly, Marine Department of Negara Brunei Darussalam was only a section of the Department of Royal Customs and Excise which in 1948 was known as the Department of Custom and Marine headed by Mr DH Trumble. The main services then was to provide transportation of passengers and mail 3 times a week to Labuan. During that time, Marine Department only operated 8 outboards and 6 vessels as maritime transportation.
In 1957, Marine Department started to handle its own administration in its own headquarters located at the Custom wharf, Bandar Seri Begawan. On 5th August 1964 Mr Jack Turner was appointed as the first Marine Officer (Pegawai Laut Negara) . He was the longest serving officer holding the Post and was bestowed the title of " Yang Di Muliakan Pehin Datu Tambang Layaran Laila Di Raja" and ended his service on 22nd February 1981.
The Development of Infrastruce and Services:
Monitoring of shipping in Belait river - ongoing awaiting new station.
Deepening surrounding waters of Muara Port to 12.5m a.c.d - awarded , implemented 2000 and completed end of 2000.
With the establishment of the projects within the two main development programs Marine Department hopes to:
Increasing the number of merchant ships by promoting ship owners to register their ships in Negara Brunei Darussalam.
Maintaining the safety of navigation and prevention of pollution from ships.
To establish more competitive services in Muara Port.
Public can now lodge complaint or get more information about boat registration, boat license and tide information. Simply, by calling Talian Darussalam 123.
Marine Department has provides services by receiving public request, inquiries, complaints & feedback from the end-users through Talian Darussalam 123 which covered:
Departmental Support Section
Maritime Security and Environment Protection
Maritime Safety & Training
Maritime Strategic & Interest Section
For more info, please visit Marine Department main website here