Department of Electrical Services (DES) is an electric utility company in Brunei Darussalam responsible for the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity to end users. Under the auspices of the Ministry of Energy of the Prime Minister's Office, DES is the government authority mandated to look after and to be responsible for the operation and development of the electricity sector. Department of Electrical Services (DES), established in 1921 bearing the name of Electrical Office under the auspicious of the Public Works Department, the Department of Electrical Services provided electricity power to its first consumer, the Wireless and Telegraf Department.
As a utility, DES is responsible for the generation, transmission and distribution of electricity to the end-users. In 1934, the scheme to supply electricity power to houses of senior government officers and rice factory in Brunei town commenced. As a service provider, DES is responsible to set standards for the implementation of electricity usage in public buildings as well as overseeing their overall Electro-Mechanical maintenance. Department of Electrical Services (DES) continued to generate the development of the country and in 1959, it added two diesel-powered generators, each capable of providing 884 kilowatts at the Gadong Power Station. The gas turbine power station started its operations six years later. Seven years later, the 66,000 KV from Seria to Bandar Seri Begawan started its operations.
In 1966, the Temburong Diesel-Powered Power Station started its operations. In 1967 the Seria Gas Turbine Power Station started its operations. In the same year, the 66 and 100 KV line from Seria to Bandar Seri Begawan started its operations.
DES provides services by receiving public request, inquiries, complaints & feedback from end-users thru Talian Darussalam 123 which covered:-
- Complaints from the public about disruption of electricity supply.
- Receiving information from the public in regards to the disturbance of government assets and infrastructure such as the act of cable theft, the act of damaging to the electrical substations and etc.
- Complaints from the public in regards to damage of street lights.
- Complaints from users in regards to prepaid electricity meters, and queries including the procedure to key in token numbers, the electricity meters or token numbers do not work and other issues.
- General complaints about the supply of electricity and electrical installations.
- Convey information about the scheduled power cuts to the public and other requests.
For more info, please visit Department of Electrical Service website here